How to Successfully Name Your Business, Product or Service
- Keep the name short and easy to remember. Ideally, that would be no more than two words. I have heard it recommended trying to use the same first letter in each word to make it easier for your customer to remember. Though there is some merit in this advice, I personally have found it difficult to achieve successfully. Let’s try these four steps instead.
- List three ideas based on the products or services you plan to provide (e.g., children’s clothing, personal chef, organic products, etc.):
- List three ideas based on your special niche (e.g., affordable children’s special occasion clothes, special needs or kosher diet chef, organic products for the bed and bath industries):
- List three urgent needs of your potential customer base that are not currently being met.
- List three ideas combining a favorite theme with your special niche: (e.g., Tea Party children’s party clothes, Table for Two kosher meals, The Serenity Swan organic bed and bath products):
- Have you said it aloud to make sure it’s easily understood and pronounced? (Has it passed muster with others? Have a friend call to see how it sounds over the phone
- Have you checked your local business listings to make sure the same or a similar name is not already listed?
- Have you checked with your local business authority to make sure the name is available?
- Have you started your trademark search?
If you can invoke an emotional response in your customer when they see or hear your business, products, or services name, such as causing a feeling of curiosity or intrigue as we just discussed, you have achieved the holy grail of branding. Invoking an emotional response, preferably positive, will achieve all your goals in successfully naming your business, product, or service.
If you scroll down just a bit further I also have a collection of more success tips. Just click on any of the links. If you have a question about your business please feel free to Contact Us and send a personal message. We love hearing from you and will respond just as quickly as we can.