7 Tips To Turn Your Struggling Business Into a Success!
Q: You own a pub or a restaurant. You are struggling to stay alive. Where do you turn for help? What help do you need the most? If you are in this situation and you feel that there is a chance that your business will not survive for very much longer, what do you think you need to do to stay afloat? Who do you turn to for some sound advice? How do you understand why your business is suffering? James T. Atlanta, GA. USA
First let me start by saying that what has happened to your industry during the Covid-19 pandemic has been incredibly difficult and my heart goes out to you. The recovery strategies for a struggling business that I am about to share with you apply not only to your industry, but will also apply to many other types of small businesses as well in just about any type of economy, including this one once you are able to re-open. However, for the moment let’s speak specifically to your type of business.
1. Often restaurateurs forget that their guests come for a dining experience, not just a bite to eat. This is true if you are a small diner or a three star Michelin restaurant. How you serve your guest is just as important as what you serve. Making an adjustment here usually costs nearly nothing, but can render multiple blessings of revenue, branding, and publicity. Use your imagination and be creative. If you need some specific help send me a message. I will be happy to help you create a strategy plan specific to your business and the challenges you are currently facing.
2. The second part to the dinning experience and perhaps the most important, is that the dining area, bathrooms, and kitchen must be spotless at all times. It is a well know fact that McDonald’s attributes the success of their best performing restaurants to the cleanliness of their bathrooms which are completely scrubbed and stocked each hour. Take a close look at your dining area, in the corners, on top of picture frames, and door posts. Cleanliness should be maintained at all times and especially when you are busy. Each guest should have a potless place to eat before they are seated. Think of it as if your mom and dad were coming over for dinner. You want everything to be perfect.
Let’s start here. This inner drive for more life is inherent in all of nature, including you and I. Everything we do as a species is an outward expression of our inner primal urge to live more fully. For a better way of being in this world. Leveling-up if you will. We all want more. We all want better, and that is a good thing. We are expressing our internal drive for more life and to live it well. This internal drive is how your customers, clients, co-workers, and services providers choose to do business with you or not. All of our choices and decisions are based on our desire to live better, for increase. To live life more fully. We are looking for better food, nicer clothes, more comfortable homes, more luxury in our lifestyle, increased knowledge and understanding, more fun and entertainment. A more efficient, streamlined, secure, and less stressful way of doing business, We are looking for increase in something, and that something is a better way of being.
Now. let’s talk about money. There has been a long held belief that the desire for financial wealth is somehow evil. In truth, the desire for greater financial abundance is simply our aspiration for the resources necessary to live our lives more fully. For increase. Because this desire is rooted from deep within each of us, we are naturally drawn to those who can empower us with the tools and resources we need to accomplish our goals. To give us what we need to level-up in the area of our life that we feel the greatest need. No matter where you are in your own life at this moment, if you are continually offering increased life to every one you meet during your day, you will in fact, benefit by continually receiving increased life yourself. That is just how it works.
3. Now, let’s talk about making money and that means we are going into the kitchen. If your food is lousy or presented poorly, nothing else you do will matter. Not knowing the type of restaurant yours is makes this a little difficult, but I have a few ideas that may help you. First of all, if you are in the food industry you know that we eat with our eyes first, so presentation is key. A true chef can do amazing things even with a hot dog. Of
course, the next thing is the quality of your food. Organic food tends to have better flavor, texture, and aroma, but can also be a bit pricey. If you are barely staying afloat as it is, you might be tempted to cut corners but I wouldn’t suggest it. Instead turn it into a business opportunity.
4. Contact a local organic farmer in your area. Your farmers market would be a good place to start. Try to strike a deal with the farm and do the following.
5. Ask the farmer to provide you with the very finest of their current crop in exchange for a publicity event at your restaurant.
6. Invite the local press, food critics, chamber members, church groups, civic groups, city council members, and anyone else you can think of to a one night, by reservation only event.
7. Ask the farmer to be present and provide a place card about his farm and where the public can buy his food on each table.
What is good for the farmer is good for you. You generate publicity, branding, and revenue all in one shot. The farm provides the food which reduces your expenses and you provide the service and publicity which aides the farmer as well. This is a great strategic partnership that will help you both to continue to grow your businesses.
One last thought. Cultivate your creative culinary skills and apply them to your business practices. In other words, look at your business challenges as a selection of ingredients. Set them out in front of you and then let your creativity run wild as you create “a new dish”! The art of the pivot has become an essential tool to successful businesses and yours is no different. Your advantage is that you are naturally creative and that is a great problem solving skill! Look at your challenge and then look for an innovative way to turn that challenge into an opportunity.
Have a comment or question about this week’s post? Let us hear from you! Post your own success stories or ask a question about how to move your own business forward to success! We love hearing from you and read every post personally! You can join the fun on our Twitter Chat and share your own success tips! If you are looking for more practical hands-on help we have two other resources for you. First, we have created an actual Small Business Toolkit for small business owners just like you to help you start and grow your own successful business and meet today’s challenges head-on with confidence. You can find yours right here.
If you scroll down just a bit further I also have a collection of more success tips. Just click on any of the links. If you have a question about your business please feel free to Contact Us and send a personal message. We love hearing from you and will respond just as quickly as we can.